22 December 2011

Van Syla - "Fantasia" [SP]

What a surprise! (4/10)
HAPPY HOLYDAYS TO YOU ALL !
I dedicate this album to all my friends, fans and generous donators and I thank them for their support and encouragements.
FANTASIA was supposed to contain several tracks but unfortunately, Jamendo decided otherwise.

For unknown reason Van Syla invited me to listen to her new album. I would not do that on my own, because I have a sick habit of reviewing all music I listen to on Jamendo and the last time I reviewed Van Syla I barely avoided being lynched by her outraged fans. But it would be unkind to reject an invitation, so here we are.

The album I listened to previously was "The Death Of A Star", a very very inept take on pseudo-orchestral space music. That is why I feared the worst. And... What a surprise! This short tune is almost listenable.

Let's start with the quality of samples. On "The Death Of A Star" they sounded like they had come from the cheapest toy keyboard. And here they sound natural (a harp being particularly impressive)! Even the worst of them are listenable, nowhere near the earlier bottom quality. A really significant progress has been made here - congratulations!

Another field where a progress can be seen is orchestration. Nothing spectacular with it, but at least the instruments work together to form a melody, instead of fighting for their lives like they did on "The Death Of A Star".

Unfortunately, Van Syla's composing skills are still lacking. The melody is rough and uncreative, making for a tiring listening experience. You can almost feel the pain with which these notes have been put together. Therefore, I still would not recommend this tune to anyone.

The hard work the artist did on sample quality and orchestration deserves appreciation though, provided it is a real progress. And it is a little difficult to judge, as we have only one short track here.

The album has been released on Jamendo and is available for downloading in mp3 encoding format.

Beware!

[Creative Commons License]

0 comments:

Post a Comment