27 February 2011

Phon - "Beatles Are Dead"

Better than the original versions! (9/10)
"remixes the beatles"
a recent attempt with some interesting ideas

These remixes are amazing. I love the way the artist treated these legendary compositions. Everyone tries to play the Beatles "with respect" and the covers are inferior. But Phon does not have any complexes, he approached these masterpieces with an empty --- err, I mean open --- mind and he won!

I love so many ideas on this album. On "Yesterday" I love heavy guitars and growling in choruses - very surprising in a song that was once a ballad. Use of a symphonic orchestra in "Day in a life" may seem a bit strange firstly, but as the track unfolds, you begin to comprehend and appreciate the idea that Phon asked musicians to swap their instruments for this one session. On "Come together" mixing John's & Paul's voices with Britney Spears' "Ooops I did it again" was just another master's move. You feel this tune should have always sounded this way! Yodelling on "Helter Skelter" fits perfectly the awkward German language version of lyrics, autotranslated with Babelfish. The choir of drunken Afghan talibs is a great counterpoint to Lennon's piano played on fast forward on "Eleanor Rigby". I also like their funny English accents and how they replaced "Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door" with "Waits at the window, keeping the head of George W. in a jar by the door". I could go on like this for an hour, there are so many fresh concepts here, giving the listener fresh look on these thousand-times heard songs.

One thing I didn't like is replacing the original vocal line with an opera-singing on "Yellow Submarine". But maybe that's because I don't like opera.

So, to summarize: Everybody! Please welcome Phon, the remixing master!

And I'm waiting for the followup album: "Phon the Rolling Stone" with his versions of Satisfaction, Angie and so on... Maybe with a guest appearance by Kokkaljos? I'm asking for too much, I know...

Creative Commons License

[Artist's Blog]




SUPPORT INDEPENDENT ARTISTS

If you like this album and you can afford it, consider supporting the artist by making a donation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment